Started running back in August. And I am proud to say, I’m for real a runner now! Like, that’s what I do! Not just something I’m trying to do.
Couch To 5K is your friend. I could not have gotten here without that app.
Now that I’m in the zone, I have questions. Most of them are probably self-explanatory. But I’m stumped. Help a sister out!
1. I run at 6:00 AM. Am I supposed to eat before I go or after I come back? Both? Is it true that drinking water during my run will cause cramps?
2. I can now run three miles. Easily. But I’m still slow. (12-13 minutes a mile). Should I next try to go faster or farther? Or neither.
3. I have zeros issues with breathing. I end my run barely out of breath. But my legs are another story. Will that get better? Anything I can do? I limp around the next day for hours. I feel the burn!
4. My right knee ain’t too happy. It’s not serious. (I don’t think.) But while I’m running, I’m definitely aware of something going on down there.
5. I usually run 3 times a week. But lately I’ve been feeling antsy and grouchy if I don’t run in the morning so I go every day. Is that bad? Am I supposed to take days off? Or is that just for heavy duty trainers?
6. I’ve been trying to cut red meat from my diet. But since I’ve started running, my body is like, Are you crazy? If you don’t get me a Porterhouse in the next five minutes, I’m gonna make you wish we were never born. Lately, I have very very strong cravings for meat. Red meat.
I know I can eat more protein in other ways. I’m sure there are vegetarian/vegan runners out there. I don’t know how they do it.
Oh. And please don’t tell me nothing about no damn peanut butter. Or black beans. It’s not just the protein that I need. I feel the need to literally tear into flesh. I have no desire to smooth a piece of peanut butter over a nice little apple slice.
7. Went outside this morning for my run. It’s light out. Yay! But. What the heck? It’s like two degrees out here! I had to put on two hoodies and tights under my sweatpants. What the hell am I going to do in February? I guess there’s a reason why I don’t see the runners in the park and on the street that I saw in August. I do not have time to join a gym. I only made it this far because I didn’t over think it. Roll out of bed, sneakers, pavement. If I have to start the car? Not gonna happen.
8. WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TELL ME I WAS GOING TO GAIN WEIGHT!?
I’m five pounds heavier than I was when I started running. I know, I know. I’m eating more. Muscle weighs more than blah blah. I was wearing my Skinny Aliya pants over the summer. I was wearing my Regular Aliya pants a few weeks ago. Today I had to go for the Holiday Season Aliya pants. (I can still wear Skinny Aliya skirts. So I’m assuming it’s the thighs bulking up) I know this regime is good for me. But I’m not gonna front: seeing the scale go up when I’m running miles a day is disheartening. I ain’t gain no weight when I was doing yoga. Hmph.
I was looking for a picture of big thighs. And this was one of the first images that popped up.
How did I not know Beyonce had thighs like that? Now that I’m looking at them, I’m realizing that thick thighs ain’t all bad. I might be able to handle this. But what happens later? The more I run, the thicker they get?
Answers! Answers! I need answers!
P.S. I know I can Google all of the above. But it’s not the same as hearing it from the real world. Plus I’m lazy.