Time recently published a series of photos from photographer Callie Shell. The images are stunning and speak volumes about the monumental changes taking place in the White House. I urge you to check out the complete photo essay. In the meantime, my six favorites. And a few questions…
1. This photo is an early morning shot of the President’s breakfast table in the Oval Office. A few questions come to mind. Who makes his breakfast? Does he get to choose? Does he really eat it? What if he wants a McGriddle instead? And what is that he’s having for breakfast? It looks like the rejects from a hotel buffet bar. And of course, the main question I have: What is in that folder?!
2. How much do you love this photo of Obama cutting up? In this photo, he was telling the story of someone who approached his entourage in London and was extremely excited about seeing–Obama’s aide, Reggie Love.
3. Obama taking a call. Question: Who is he talking to? I can’t see him talking to a world-leader with his feet up. Kicking it with Michelle? Nah. I’d love to know. I also want to know where exactly this location is. It seems so unsecure. Though I’m sure it’s not. Um, last question on this photo. Is this where he takes his smoke breaks?
4. In this photo, Carla Bruni, the First Lady of France, talks to Michelle Obama about touching the Queen of England. Look at Michelle’s face. She’s like, yeah well whatever. She’s not pressed at all. What was the deal with that anyway? Was it really a breach of protocol? Let’s take a look at the picture:
Okay. Well she’s clearly touching her. Hmmm. Can someone explain this to me? No one is allowed to touch the Queen like ever? Did the Royal Family put out a statement of disgust? I need answers.
5. This picture really hit me. There are young people in the White House. That could be TG up there. Same age and everything. It makes me wonder how Malia will handle the regular middle-school angst while under such an intense magnifying glass. Is she ever sullen and moody? Is she over it? Loving it? I’d love to know…
6. Sasha, on the other hand, is just too much. Check out homegirl’s riding boots. I can’t even deal with this little girl. In this photo, taken soon after they moved in, Sasha had popped into the Oval Office to check out her dad’s new office. He congratulated her on knowing her way around the White House so soon.
Again, I urge you to check out all the photos on Time’s website. They’re awesome.
Right after I checked out these images, I got a Tweet with a link to a press release about a documentary that rapper KRS-One is appearing in. It’s called “The Obama Deception.” KRS maintains that nothing will change just because Obama is in the White House.
My first thought was…KRS? Go sit down somewhere. But you know what? Let him have his say. It’s true, Obama is a part of the cultural elite. He went to Columbia and Harvard. His ascension is not the same as say, Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson becoming President. He is not a revolutionary. But here’s what KRS is not understanding:
I have a two year-old daughter who thinks it’s completely normal to see people who look like her in the White House. Things have already changed. Forever.
dear readers: how much do you love these photos? And what do you think of the questions I’ve posed?
I’d love to hear from you…
*Okay, so it’s way more than 10 questions. Deal with it.